Monthly Archives: September 2016

Front sound insulation

Time to sound insulate the cab floor.  I purchased a bulk pack of Silent Coat 2mm Mat Bulk for £85 from the Sound Deadening Shop.

It’s very easy to fit, you can cut it with scissors and it bends to follow the contours of the floor.
All done…

 

I used about 30 of the 40 sheets to completely cover this area.

Now I just have a few bits to put back (although TBH, this includes the head-lining I took down too, to check cabling routes etc).

Drivers front seat swivel

So I thought I’d have a go at test fitting the Rib drivers seat swivel I purchased from Kiravans.

It fits very easily, although the swivel is very stiff for the first rotation.

However there seems to be a design fault… As can be seen from the following photos the catch fouls with the seat trim.

I spoke to Kiravans and they say I need to cut the seat trim!  Seems daft to me, the catch has just been made too short.

Spilt charge wiring etc.

I ordered a spilt charge kit (SC120L) and also a “Leisure battery supply loom for aftermarket stereo” kit, both from travelvolts.com.
First I took of the wiper arms (which was a bit difficult until I lifted the arm up directly under the spring to relieve the pressure.

Then it’s easy to remove the plastic cover.

I then had an amount of rubbish to clean out before I started the installation.

I decided to clean out the offside area too.
This is the part of the slit charge kit.  The cable labelled “2” is the short cable which connects to the van battery.  The long cable, labelled “3” & “4” routes from the engine bay to the passenger compartment (“3” in the engine bay, “4” in the passenger compartment).

This is how the cable routes in the engine compartment.

This is the routing into the passenger area (the cable hasn’t been pulled all the way through yet.

The cable routes through from the van battery via a pre-existing hole/grommet.

In order to route the cable to under the driver seat (where I intend to install the spilt charge relay), it’s easier to remove the seats and the floor mat (this probably isn’t absolutely necessary).

I decided to cut the mat so I didn’t have to disconnect the handbrake cable from the hand brake but then could remove the mat.

Now to get on with the cable routing.

Almost done with the routing.

This is where I chose to install the split charge relay (in the NSF corner).

About time I posted again

So it’s been quite a time since my last update…

The van’s been back with me for a while now fitted with a pop top roof, windows, part lining and a rear spoiler too.

The way I’ve had the lining done means I pretty much have access to everywhere for cabling etc.  I just have to cover/fit the larger rear panels.

So now I can crack-on with the conversion myself.