Day 2 under the van!

Continuing to install the tow bar electrics.  1st removal of the wipers and the cover.  Once the wipers have their nuts removed they come off quite easily (as long as you know to push down on the hinge part to relieve the tension on them).  Next the plastic part/cover just pulls off.

 

 

Next I took the battery & plastic shield parts out so I could see where best to route the cable.
Now I can see where I need to go.
I took the battery tray out to have a better look but actually didn’t need to based on where I chose to route the cable.

Battery tray removed.

This is the route I took with the cable (the white nylon line).

This is the view from underneath (again see the white nylon line).

I taped the cable to the line and carefully pulled it down from underneath.

This is the cable from underneath.

I didn’t fix the cable until I had it threaded all the way to the back of the van since I didn’t know how much play there was in the length.

This is the grommet underneath the passenger seat where part of the loom needs to come up through.

Removal of the lower panels above the pedals.

Rubber matting pulled back.

This is the existing grommet which needs to be replaced with the one in the loom (difficult to see, it’s dead centre in the photo behind the steering column).

And again, this time with the original grommet removed.

I tried threading my nylon guide from the engine side but in the end this wasn’t necessary.  All I needed to do was to carefully unclip the small pipe which runs left to right and pull the sound proofing mat away and I could see the hole.
This is the cable/grommet in place (it was very difficult to get the grommet to fit!).

Now the cable is routed down then up in a “U” then behind the dashboard.

Removal of the lower dashboard panels, the smaller upper part hides a screw!

You can see the clips on the lower part here.

Cable pulled through, am not connecting it today so now back to fixing the whole loom in place.

Since the fixed grommet in the loop (behind the accelerator cable) defines that position I started from there with fastening the cable.  This is the route I took on the OS of the engine bay.
Then I threaded the cable behind the sound proofing material (had to remove the two clips to do this).
More tomorrow…

A weekend under my van…

On the new ramps, time to get started!

This is the Kiravans Rib seat fitting kit.

Almost in place, using the spare wheel carrier for support.

Time to remove the exhaust rear heat shield (have already removed the plastic panel above the rear wheel.

Head shield removed.

I marked the area where I’ll need to drill.
I used a couple of clamps to hold the bracket in place, but there’s a problem!  The bracket is too short.  I measured the distance between the vehicle struts and it’s approx. 750mm, the problem is that the bracket is approx. 742mm!  So unfortunately this particular job will have to wait until another day (after I have spoken to Kiravans).
So next job, installation of the wiring for the tow bar.  First the removal of the under-floor plastic panels.
And some more.
View under-body with cover removed.
The cable to be installed.
The bare end for the 13-pin socket (I’ve covered the end to protect it).
The other end, the left part goes to the engine bay (near the battery), the coil in the centre goes across the engine bay / bulkhead and into the passenger compartment (behind the accelerator cable), the end to the right goes up from under the passenger seat.
The end close to the battery, the ECU (not shown) and the fuses.
The end which goes across the bulkhead and down into the passenger area behind the accelerator cable (the grommet in the cable replaces the grommet which is already in-place behind the accelerator).
The end which comes up from under the floor to under the passenger seat.