Continuing to install the tow bar electrics.  1st removal of the wipers and the cover.  Once the wipers have their nuts removed they come off quite easily (as long as you know to push down on the hinge part to relieve the tension on them).  Next the plastic part/cover just pulls off.

 

 

Next I took the battery & plastic shield parts out so I could see where best to route the cable.
Now I can see where I need to go.
I took the battery tray out to have a better look but actually didn’t need to based on where I chose to route the cable.

Battery tray removed.

This is the route I took with the cable (the white nylon line).

This is the view from underneath (again see the white nylon line).

I taped the cable to the line and carefully pulled it down from underneath.

This is the cable from underneath.

I didn’t fix the cable until I had it threaded all the way to the back of the van since I didn’t know how much play there was in the length.

This is the grommet underneath the passenger seat where part of the loom needs to come up through.

Removal of the lower panels above the pedals.

Rubber matting pulled back.

This is the existing grommet which needs to be replaced with the one in the loom (difficult to see, it’s dead centre in the photo behind the steering column).

And again, this time with the original grommet removed.

I tried threading my nylon guide from the engine side but in the end this wasn’t necessary.  All I needed to do was to carefully unclip the small pipe which runs left to right and pull the sound proofing mat away and I could see the hole.
This is the cable/grommet in place (it was very difficult to get the grommet to fit!).

Now the cable is routed down then up in a “U” then behind the dashboard.

Removal of the lower dashboard panels, the smaller upper part hides a screw!

You can see the clips on the lower part here.

Cable pulled through, am not connecting it today so now back to fixing the whole loom in place.

Since the fixed grommet in the loop (behind the accelerator cable) defines that position I started from there with fastening the cable.  This is the route I took on the OS of the engine bay.
Then I threaded the cable behind the sound proofing material (had to remove the two clips to do this).
More tomorrow…
Categories: electrical

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.