Author Archives: Heathy

Furniture back in + the seat/bed!

Furniture back in.
 Seat also in (test fit), it seems to foul on the NSR wheel arch (very slightly).  My floor is 12mm thick so apparently it should be high enough not to cause this.
 Once the seat is in its exact position I intend to (very slightly) dent the wheel arch to enable it to sit completely flat.

 

Furniture out…

So the furniture is back out, time to begin to fit the side panels.  Unfortunately they didn’t have holes in them so I had to work out where they should be.
I cut a cardboard template and marked them then used this for a guide.

Both panels test-fitted in place.

Now the floor’s back out to trim it to fit (to allow for the edging pipe/strip I plan to staple all around the edge.

Time to trim…

Wood, wood and more wood….

Most of it’s inside the house now.  Still quite a bit to build.

Still having fun with a seeming slight difference in part length.

I thought this was an issue (the difference in placement of the holes, from the lower edge).  I emailed Evo and it’s by design, i.e. to cause the unit to open when a slight twist to avoid the side of the adjacent tall unit.

The drawer doesn’t want to stay on it’s rails, some adjustment needed I think.

The rear roof unit (above the rear seat).

All mocked up in line, looking good!

The furniture build starts….

Blimey, there’s a lot of parts in the kit (as you’d expect), in addition to the many-many panels there are loads of bags of fixtures and fittings, and thankfully some printed instructions.
The time consuming part is knocking in all the edging strip and cutting it accurately at the ends.  There’s a suggestion in the instructions to warm the edging before fitting to make it more pliable and avoid chipping the laminate (i.e. with a hair dryer), however when I warmed it up I found that it went on in a slightly uneven manner, also I’ve had no issues with chipping the laminate.
One other thing to consider is which way around to put the edging strip on, (there are two different sides), I just looked at the layout and made what I thought was a sensible decision.
This is the first part I tackled.
To avoid potentially damaging the laminate when knocking in the plastic pieces I used a sawn-off part of an Allen key to knock them in.
First section almost complete.

Preparing the rear floor & fitting the front seats

So I’ve had a busy weekend on the van 🙂

I removed the floor (which was just loosely laid in the van) and bonded all of the cut pieces underneath.  I used Wurth Bond Structural Bond+Seal (08901003) to bond the pieces to the van floor.  I will be just screwing the floor to these battens and not glueing it just incase I need to remove it later.
I purchased the floor from AJC Conversions Ltd, it’s in 12mm in ply, one peice (well except for two  very tiny bits to allow an easier fit), and hand cut to fit perfectly.  They also supplied the battens and even did me a plan to show what goes where.  I also got some rubber strip to finish off the edge when I do the final fit.  The guys there were very helpful too, lots of free advice!

I ended up using two tubes of adhesive and nearly finished, so will have to buy a third one.

Next I got the two front seats installed along with their swivels.  I’ve purchased a secondhand single passenger seat (finished in VW Place trim) to replace my double one.  I got the two seat swivels from Kiravans.

The driver swivel comes with spacers to lift the seat so it can clear the handbrake, they’re fitted first.

They have a slot to take the original nut.

Then it’s a simple job of fitting the swivel to the seats with four fixings, next the seat can be bolted to the swivel.

Picking up on a comment on an earlier post, this photo shows the angle of the level on the passenger seat.  As can be seen there’s plenty of room.

This is the level on the driver seat, after I’ve carefully bent it to not clash with the plastic seat base.

Looking good, now they’re fitted 🙂

Front sound insulation

Time to sound insulate the cab floor.  I purchased a bulk pack of Silent Coat 2mm Mat Bulk for £85 from the Sound Deadening Shop.

It’s very easy to fit, you can cut it with scissors and it bends to follow the contours of the floor.
All done…

 

I used about 30 of the 40 sheets to completely cover this area.

Now I just have a few bits to put back (although TBH, this includes the head-lining I took down too, to check cabling routes etc).