Fitting the seat/bed

This photo shows the two bolts which pass upwards through the RIB fitting kit under the floor.  The bolts have to be inserted this way so they don’t clash with the spare wheel.
The other five bolts are supposed to point downwards and each have a spreader-plate (I rust-proofed them before fitting).



This was the most difficult bolt to fit so I decided to fit this in an upwards position (since it’s inside one of the trailing arm suspension mounts).


I needed a very long articulated socket to get at some of the nuts.

Drilling the holes for the Rib seat/bed

Following on from my earlier blog entry when I fitted the Rib seat under body bracket and drilled the two central rearmost holes, now it’s time to drill the others.

With the furniture in place (albeit not fixed, but in the exact/right position) I fitted the two rear bolts (just the bolts, not the nuts) then lined up the seat so it was square and also ensured the seat didn’t touch the NS wall or the furniture, both in seat and bed mode. I then marked the location of the remaining holes on the wooden floor then drilled them through.

As you’ll see in the next photos my estimates (the yellow dots) weren’t too far off!

This is the NSR hole.

This is the OSR hole which travels through the crossmember so needs the longer bolt to be used.

This is the NSF hole.

This is the OSF hole above the exhaust.

This is the front centre hole, which is the hardest to see since it’s inside the swinging arm suspension mount!

This is a picture with all the bolts in place (just test fit).

Fitting the Rib rear seat (again)

So, checking the fit of the Rib fitting kit under the van.  Based on the temporary spacers I had to slot, in it’s about 6-7mm too short.
 So I’ve fashioned a couple of spacers out for 3mm steel (which I’m going to rust proof before fitting).
 With the fitting kit placed in the recommended location the rear cushion is very squashed-up when in “bed-mode” so I wondered if I could mount the seat slightly forward?  However I checked the position of the three holes I’d need to drill to fix the front frame of the seat and they’d be inaccessible from under the van.
I drilled an offset pilot hole through the floor (from inside to out) near the front mounting holes to have an accurate point to measure from under the van.  After checking, I think I can position the seat very slightly further forward than stated in the instructions.  Whilst the seat is touching the side of the van, it isn’t overly squashed.
However I’ve found another issue/query, this time, in relation to the left/right position of the centre front mounting hole (in the centre of this picture).
 The hole in question is on the centre, lefthand side of this photo.
Based on the measurements from the reference hole I’d drilled the centre/front hole will exit under the boxed-in section for the NSR suspension arm!  So not sure how I’d get a bolt in there. Also not sure whether this issue is specific to a LWB?
[Update 20170507]
So back under the van, this time to measure where I think the bolts will need to come through from inside (yellow dots are my best estimates).
NSR bolt.

NSF bolt (closest to NS sliding door).

OSR (the one which the instructions say needs the long bolt since it goes through the box section).

OSF, right above the exhaust pipe.

Middle/front, the problem one (doesn’t go where the yellow dot is but inside the box section as far as I can tell).

 

 

Preparing the rear floor & fitting the front seats

So I’ve had a busy weekend on the van 🙂

I removed the floor (which was just loosely laid in the van) and bonded all of the cut pieces underneath.  I used Wurth Bond Structural Bond+Seal (08901003) to bond the pieces to the van floor.  I will be just screwing the floor to these battens and not glueing it just incase I need to remove it later.
I purchased the floor from AJC Conversions Ltd, it’s in 12mm in ply, one peice (well except for two  very tiny bits to allow an easier fit), and hand cut to fit perfectly.  They also supplied the battens and even did me a plan to show what goes where.  I also got some rubber strip to finish off the edge when I do the final fit.  The guys there were very helpful too, lots of free advice!

I ended up using two tubes of adhesive and nearly finished, so will have to buy a third one.

Next I got the two front seats installed along with their swivels.  I’ve purchased a secondhand single passenger seat (finished in VW Place trim) to replace my double one.  I got the two seat swivels from Kiravans.

The driver swivel comes with spacers to lift the seat so it can clear the handbrake, they’re fitted first.

They have a slot to take the original nut.

Then it’s a simple job of fitting the swivel to the seats with four fixings, next the seat can be bolted to the swivel.

Picking up on a comment on an earlier post, this photo shows the angle of the level on the passenger seat.  As can be seen there’s plenty of room.

This is the level on the driver seat, after I’ve carefully bent it to not clash with the plastic seat base.

Looking good, now they’re fitted 🙂

Drivers front seat swivel

So I thought I’d have a go at test fitting the Rib drivers seat swivel I purchased from Kiravans.

It fits very easily, although the swivel is very stiff for the first rotation.

However there seems to be a design fault… As can be seen from the following photos the catch fouls with the seat trim.

I spoke to Kiravans and they say I need to cut the seat trim!  Seems daft to me, the catch has just been made too short.